Thursday, April 29, 2010

Netbook and Windows Anytime Upgrade

I mentioned in a previous post that I struggled with how to access my creative juices while on vacation while not toting around an extra ten pounds of gear. I settled on a HP Mini 210, it's a little underpowered, but it weighs in around 3 pounds which isn't too bad as extra weight. It has 1 GB memory (nothing like my Dell Quad Core with 8GB!) and it is limited in disk space. I left my 500GB hard drive at home as I didn't want to cart that around as well. I've got quite a bit of things on this laptop even so.

  • Visual Studio 2010
  • SQL Server 2008 Express
  • Mercurial plus all of the devs tools I could think of - WinMerge, e, nant... I did miss TestDriven.NET, so I'll have to figure how that works into writing code.

After rushing to install everything I thought I'd need I decided at 2.30 am (with a 4.45 wake up forthcoming!) to try an upgrade from Starter edition to Home Professional. Don't be fooled, it says that the upgrade will take 10 minutes or so, unless there are Windows Updates! Doh! I think I finished out with a workable system again more than an hour later! I recommend if you're going to do an Anytime Upgrade on your system to do it with time to spare. I was wondering if I had bricked my new system right before the trip! It all worked out and went smoothly, but not without some minutes of stress in the wee hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment